Sunday, September 6, 2009

It's OK. Lament for a friend

"the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away" (Job 1:21). On Sept 5, 2009, about 10PM my dear friend OK surrendered. He had stopped eating ten days ago. I don't think he drank water the last day or so, and how he managed so long is just typical of his spunk. He was the only cat I ever owned that chased dogs out of our yard. (What am I saying? I didn't own him, he owned us!) When OK would see me at the other end of the walkway of our house, he would lope happily to me, miao-ing as he came.
When he first came to our house, more than two years ago, OK was totally unwanted by all of us. He got through to me first, and I started giving him the leftovers of the morning can of food that I shared between Miss Dufus, Stinkey and Dinkey. When I gave him the food, even though he was hungry, he would sniff it, and then before he ate he would walk over to me and rub against my ankles, as if to say "thank you." He slowly worked his way into our hearts, and became so dear to us. The other cats never got attached to him, but they did begin to tolerate him, towards the end. OK understood English perfectly, though he never had one lesson. And when English students came over, he would unashamedly lay down on the table at the front of the class. It was even better, in his opinion, if students would pet him while we studied.
This morning, we buried my friend OK in a banana leaf in our yard. Thank the Lord, it did not rain on him today. OK didn't like the rain. Most of his nine lives (and more) were used up in the rainy season.
I will miss him. Today it still hurts, but will get better in time, I know, and be nice memories. The phrase "It's OK" now has a lovely meaning. He was an Orange Kitty, but he was much more than just "OK." To be just "OK" is something special.
I think the Lord wanted a good kitty. Thank the Lord for him. He was a real gift, and a real blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment