Saturday, September 26, 2009

Banana Oatmeal Nut Bread

Now here you can get something good. I had some really overripe bananas given to me as a gift by a student, and needed to do something with them before they were totally unusable. So I took the classic Betty Crocker Banana Nut Bread recipe and substituted part of the flour (hard on BH's stomach) with quick cooking oatmeal. If I hadn't had some of that on hand (we really prefer the old-fashioned) I would have ground up some old fashioned. Other than being a little more "come-apart-y" than I prefer, it was REALLY GOOD.
So now this is a recipe blog too! Don't you just love it?

Banana Oatmeal Nut Bread
1/3 cup butter or margarine (I used shortening)
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking powder
1 cup ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 t. baking soda
1 c flour, sifted
3/4 c quick cooking oats
1/2 c chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
Preheat oven to 350 F. Cream together the butter and sugar, add eggs and beat well.
Mix together the dry ingredients (except nuts) and add in small amounts alternately with the bananas to the egg/butter mixture.
Stir in nuts, mixing well to ensure even distribution.
Pour into a well greased loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Remove from pan and cool on a rack.
Slice and enjoy.
BH prefers in a bowl with milk, I am a traditionalist, lather mine with butter.






No comments:

Post a Comment