Friday, October 30, 2009

Cobra in the Kitchen

I went into the kitchen this afternoon to make some tamarind juice. And uncharacteristically, for this time of day, Miss Dufus was sitting on a little rug by the back door, looking into the store room. In fact, I scared her when I reached around her to put something in the trash. She jumped back and left the room. So I put the tamarind into the pot, and was a little ways away from the door. I saw the snake. I thought it was one of those green snakes with a red neck band. I hollered at M, "Snake in the kitchen!" He said o.k., and came in, and got a stick. I think he figured he would just get it to wrap around the stick and then he would let it go outside. If they aren't poisonous, he isn't much for killing them. He made a noise of some kind, and I turned around to look, and saw it with a spread out hood. A cobra. Mike said, "Get the camera!" I said, "Why! It's a cobra! Who cares about a picture!" But I got the camera, and through some shaky moments that I cannot describe too well, the snake ended up in a plastic jar. Unfortunately, he wasn't wounded bad enough to die, and is, as we speak, still alive and existing in that plastic jar (lid tightly on, TTL) in the kitchen. It regurgitated the frog it had apparently just eaten. TTL for that too, because if he didn't have a frog in his throat (sorry!) it could have been a worse situation.
In case you're wondering, M is at the hardware store right now, getting the necessary stuff to fix the kitchen door, so that frogs (and snakes) can no longer sneak in underneath.
I know, trust me. Your warning: BE CAREFUL. Thanks--

No comments:

Post a Comment